Soil Compaction using Core Cutter Method is use in construction field to determine the Field dry Density, Bulk Density and compaction of soil. It is use to identify the dry density of the compacted or dry fine grain soil which is free from the aggregates.
Soil Compaction using Core Cutter Method
Core Cutter Method is use to find some important properties of soil. Some of the main properties of soil which are necessary to examine the compaction factors are as follows,
- Bulk density
- Dry density
- Moisture Content / Water Content
Apparatus and Equipment for Core Cutter Method
- Cylindrical core cutter
- Steel rammer
- Steel dolly
- Weighing balance
- Palette knife
- steel rule.
Procedure of Core Cutter Method
- Compact the earth layer by means of mechanical compactors.
- Level the top soil surface area properly.
- Note down the weight of core-cutter.
- Calculate the Volume of core-cutter.
- Place the core cutter on the top surface of soil layer.
- Keep the steel dolly on top of the core cutter.
- Drive the core cutter vertically into the soil layer with the help of a steel rammer.
- Make sure only about 15 mm of the dolly seen above the surface of soil layer.
- Dug the sides of core cutter carefully without disturbing the cylindrical core cutter.
- Take out the core cutter with soil present inside it.
- Trim the bottom of core cutter with a straightedge carefully.
- Remove the soil core from the core cutter.
- Note down the weight of soil core taken from core cutter.
- Place the sample in a airtight container for further calculations and observations.
The Field Dry Density (FDD), Bulk Density and compaction percentages derives from the soil core sample taken by core cutter. The moisture content of the soil sample is derives from Rapid Moisture Meter. With all this parameters the calculations computes. And the compaction percentage of earth layer determines.